Wednesday, March 21, 2012

some of my favorite fallas

This falla was right outside my apartment.  The wooden structure in the middle is meant to imitate the traditional fallas that were originally only made of wood (not all of the styrofoam and paint that is used today)

This falla is critiquing our treatment of the ocean.  Atop is the sea god screaming at us among the floating fish


This is the infantil falla that was in the same intersection as the one above
I really don't know how this was balancing, but the large top figure was only supported by his magic wand connected
to the side of the rabbit


This one was in front of the Nord Estación de Tren (Train Station)
This falla refers to the great spending of money without sufficient funds or purpose.
Hence the reason for Marie Antoinette and Louis XVI, below is a close up


Heading down the street to approach the falla pictured below.  This street was so packed it took us 10 minutes to reach the falla.  There was a market on both sides selling everything from jewelry and scarves to churros and cotton candy

Definitely one of my favorites.  This falla depicts the female and male views of love.  The feminine side was constructed in a fairytale-like manner, while on the male side it's pretty much the opposite.. see below

This is directly below the large boy, the head sticking out of the window is drunk, and on the right of this there is an arm sticking out of the window holding an actual bra, creative!

This scene was on the ground level of the falla (on the male side, of course).  Notice the red leather boots sticking out of the window.  This falla was filled with so much detail you could circle it 5 times and still see new things.


Each falla had signs posted around it to explain the satire, however they were all in valenciano, so I didn't truly understand everything until I went around with some native valencians who translated the text to castellano.
...creative..  actually feces were a very popular topic among many of the fallas. Negative feelings toward politicians and others responsible for the downfall of the economy were clearly displayed all throughout the city.

Na Jordana, the falla which many of my friends and I chose to watch burn on the last night of fallas.
The people I worked for on my infantil falla (my internship) had a part in constructing this one as well and it was right down the street from the placement of my falla, so this also aided in my decision to watch this one burn out of all of the 384 other large fallas around the city.

all made out of wood




This was my professor Jesús' falla.  All of the scissors refer to the cuts the government has made on schools, healthcare, and other necessities



this is the falla I worked on

No comments:

Post a Comment