Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Outing with my intercambio

While waiting in line outside a discoteca one night I ran into my intercambio, Carlota!  I was so happy to see her that I ended up spending the rest of my night with her and her friends.  We had so much fun that later in the night (morning by now- around 4 or 5am--Spanish partying is totally different) she invited me to take a day-trip with her family early the next day.

A few hours later early Sunday morning I hopped into the back of her mother's small (European size) Mercedes and we began our hour and a half journey south to the city of El Albir, above Alicante.  El Albir is a beautiful little beach town right on the Mediterranean coast.


The drive was very scenic, and passing by so many mountains and valleys brought me back to memories of traveling out west in the US with my family.
We passed numerous pueblitos [small Spanish towns], and miles of orange orchards.  (Valencians are famous for their oranges)

We met up with Carlota's older brother at a little restaurant called "El Chiringuito," which is apparently the name for little restaurants on the beach that are outdoors and serve drinks and a couple main food dishes.  We all shared a large pan of paella with chicken and rabbit.  ((I couldn't bring myself to eat the rabbit though, I just remember when my childhood friends used to have them as pets and we'd chase them around the yard.))

Anywho, I had a really great time with Carlota's family.  During lunch Carlota's brother mentioned that he's the master cook of paella, and he had even created the original facebook page of "Valencian Paella"  (This is a page created on the website facebook for other people to join the page if they "like" the subject).  This brought a great laugh, and after expressing my interest in learning to cook paella and other authentic Spanish foods, I was invited back for some cooking lessons.  Carlota's mom also invited me over for dinner soon to cook with her as well.  I'm really looking forward to all of these cooking adventures and will hopefully add some more recipes to my mental cookbook (which currently only consist of a few basics, plátanos, and a couple Panamenian and Guatemalan dishes).

(on the car ride back, Carlota, her mom and I listened to an old CD of Juan Luis Guerra which immediately brought a smile to my face, as the rhythms and familiarity of the music brought me back home, to my sister who loves Juan Luis Guerra, and to my Spanish friends in the US.  
I let myself get lost in the beautiful Spanish lyrics as Carlota dozed off into a nap and her mom sang along with the music.)
here's a link to one of the songs if you'd like to listen:

I am amazed at how quickly Carlota's family accepted me and how open they were with me.  I'm really glad I was matched up with her as an intercambio.  I just recently applied to have another intercambio, as I enjoy getting more involved in the culture and Spanish life.  

Midterms are next week so I've got to get my homework done for the night and start to study a little.

Hasta luego!

No comments:

Post a Comment