Thursday, November 3, 2011

Halloween

Halloween in Valencia (& all of Europe actually) is a totally different experience than that in the US.  Halloween wasn't even celebrated in Spain until about 10 years ago.  It's a pagan holiday, as you all know, and Spaniards now celebrate it as a reflection of the celebrations in the US (Spain has always been a very Catholic country, and as such never celebrated Halloween).

Here, the following day, November 1st is a national holiday, which is all saints day, followed by the day of the dead (both of which have much more significance than Halloween to spaniards).
But being an American, I felt that I couldn't spend my 21st year of my life without dressing up, it just wouldn't feel right to spend the night in regular clothes.  
So with the help of my hermana, spanish sister Marta, we cut up one of my old white t-shirts and drew all over it with lipstick and a red marker. 
Which brings me to another difference in the costumes between those in the US and those in Europe.  Well, we all know how people over 18 dress in the US... haha no need to explain that.
But in Europe- the theme is bloody, scary, zombies.  Almost every outfit and costume involved blood and was legitimately scary.



Here I am with my 2 besties Bridget and Nina on the left, both of whom attend the University of Virginia.  And on the right is their friend Meighan who visited us for the weekend, she's studying abroad in London.
We're standing in front of La Plaza del Carmen, a famous plaza in the old part of the city where almost every person celebrating Halloween in Valencia goes to meet up with friends and show off their disfraz, costume.
It was great to experience a Spanish Halloween with new friends



In other news: I have applied to the same program I am in for the 2nd semester, and 2 days ago was officially accepted!  I am too excited for words
But I will have to find those words soon, as I still have not yet cleared all of the processes I need to complete to actually return to Spain for spring semester.  (I have to jump through hoops to get my visa approved from the US while I am still here in possession of my passport, as well as officially finalize all of my transfer credits and addition of a second major in Spanish)
I would just like to say a HUGE THANK YOU to my family for helping me out with all of this paperwork and logistics, and for supporting my decision, I love you guys and would be nothing without you :D

Have a great week everyone,
besos xo



2 comments:

  1. Meg!

    I am so glad to hear that Halloween is so different over there. I was just telling my mom that when I have children I am going to teach them that Halloween is about being scary and not slutty LOL.

    So you are spending another semester over there?? HOW EXCITING! Do you get to stay at the same house or are they placing you somewhere else? What classes will you be taking? It makes me really happy that you are pursuing your dreams (and I'm a little jealous.. not gonna lie!) I'll have to figure out how I can come visit if you'll be there for a few more months ;)

    I gotta catch you on skype some time so we can catch up! Probably after I move (which will be next week.. craziness!) Hope things keep going well for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Jos!

    Yes, I was a bit relieved to see that the rest of the world dresses up more scary than slutty too, and am going to attempt to teach my little hijos the same :P

    I'll be able to pick any of the houses in the program I want, so I'm currently asking all the other students how their housing situations are working out/ the food, etc. But I think I'll def be choosing a location much closer to school.

    I'll be taking 5 spanish classes- 2 literature, and haven't exactly sorted out the others yet, but these last 5 classes will allow me to reach the credit requirement for a major in spanish instead of just a minor. I'm pretty excited all of this is working out too.

    Good luck with the move!! That's really exciting (& tons of work), I hope it goes smoothly.
    You can come visit any time! And maybe we can even visit Ibiza or some other places on our list of countries to visit :)
    I hope everything's going well with you too!
    Let's def skype soon
    take care!

    ReplyDelete