Sunday, February 26, 2012

FALLAS begins today with La Cridá (The scream/shout)
I am extremely excited and don't have the correct words in neither spanish nor English to correctly explain Las Fallas, so I think these videos will be of some help.

you can skip through this video to get a better understanding:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRNq0LQorYU&feature=related

At 8pm tonight there will be thousands of people gathered around Los Torres de Serrano (one of the medieval gates that used to enclose the city), where the head falleros will give a brief speech that will officially mark the beginning of Las Fallas 2012.  Following this speech there will be an amazing fireworks display.

Also- at 2pm today is the first Mascletá
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfJNT3lNEUY
a rhythmically organized pyrotechnic display.  This will occur every day of March until the end of Fallas at 2pm in the Plaza de Ayuntamiento.
*My madre warned me not to get too close, and to open up my mouth so the sound will leave my head.

I'm meeting up with some amigos later to head to these events together.
In the meantime- studying for midterms this week... Although I may move this study session to the beach because it's 70 degrees out today.  Too much sun to waste a day inside

xo

1 comment: