Thursday, December 1, 2011


last night went on an excursion with my history class- first to a really modern interactive museum that contains the history of Valencia.  This was really interesting and I enjoyed it a lot, especially as I was able to add the history to things I see every day in the city.  I plan to return there either before my departure from Spain (in less than 3 weeks!!!) but due to the amount of papers, projects, and studying I have to do I think this might be a better activity to save for 2nd semester when I'll have more free time to relax and be able to enjoy the museum instead of stress about the work i should be doing during that time.

After exploring the museum, my classmates, professor and I took the metro to a theater where we saw the movie "La Voz Dormida" which is set in the 1940s & tells the tragic story of 2 sisters and their loved ones during the repression of Franco after the Spanish Civil War.  This movie was very moving and informative of just one of the thousands of stories from the horrible repression of women during the dictatorship of Franco.  I don't think I've ever cried that much in a movie before, and I'm not much of a crier- so I only recommend it with the extreme warning that it's very pesada, I can't even think of the right way to say it in English.  That translates directly to "heavy", but I think you get the point.

Tonight is the night that all of Valencia's hundreds of christmas lights will finally be turned on across the city.  They've been setting them up for about a week.  The Plaza de Ayuntamiento has the most decorations, there's even a giant Christmas tree (no actual tree, all lights) in the middle.  I'm going to head down there with my friends Kendra, Jackie, and Brooke after some hours of work on my 10 page history paper, 2 page reflection on an article about Francisco Franco, and revising 2 of my composition papers.  (whoever said studying abroad was easy?!??)

& in other news I stopped by the US Consulate today after my classes to inquire about volunteering there 2nd semester.  Really hope that works out(!!) I'll keep yal posted.

pics from the night:
  







 Must admit, I've never seen christmas lights on palm trees before..  Something new every day!



"Bones Festes" is written in the middle.  It's in Valencian but I think it means something along the lines of Happy fesitivities or party. 


xo

No comments:

Post a Comment