Saturday, February 11, 2012

After going out with my friends last night for dinner & tapas, my sleepiness from the week was slowly catching up with me.  I ended up heading home around 2 (before the real festivities begin here in Spain) with one of my other friends.  I've realized that when you're in such a foreign environment your priorities can get entirely off-track.  It can be overwhelming trying to impress & respect your host family (meal times, being quiet, keeping your room clean); trying to hang out with every friend group that has formed & attempting to attend every bar crawl, study session, and club night; & then last but not least comes yourself- mentally, emotionally, and physically.  It's too easy to put your own needs on the backburner and throw yourself into everything else, (not to mention school, essays, & studying for upcoming exams), as well as the fact that I'm teaching English twice a week to a student, and now have an internship for 4 hours a week.
I guess one of the main things I've learned is that you have to put yourself first, because no one else is going to do it for you.  It can be intimidating when you still don't have close friends & want acceptance from everyone so badly, but during all of this- you can't forget who you are and lose yourself in the chaos.
So with all this said- I'm going to take the rest of today for myself- doing homework that's due this coming week, writing essays, and planning the other half of my Easter break [[I think I may end up spending my 22nd birthday by myself... still not too sure how I feel about this, but I think I'm alright with it.  After all, I'll be meeting up with my friends only 2 days after]]
&& of course, I get to skype with my sister later today which I'm really looking forward to.  I want to catch up with everything that's going on back home.  

ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment