Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Granada







 My group of friends and & hiked up from the valley to Plaza Mirador de San Nicolás to see the sun set.  Across the way was La Alhambra, which you can see behind us (below) on the opposite hill

After going out that night to bars (where we paid 2 euros for a drink and received free tapas = dinner) all night, we headed to La Alhambra the next morning.  
After a steep hike up the hill, we finally made it

everything was intricately carved, every wall and nearly every ceiling






a ceiling in one of the rooms





Granada was incredibly beautiful and had a much older feel than my home city of Valencia.  The weather was freeezing (0 degrees Celsius- something I was not prepared for!), but we managed to spend 5 hours exploring La Alhambra.
We stayed in a hostel with a great location and quickly found our way around the city.
There's nothing like struggling through a 10-hour bus ride to bring people together.  By the final hour we were singing our hearts out to "Pretty Woman" and other English favs

Yesterday was the first day of my Fallas práctica (internship)!! It was soo much fun.  I painted & did paper mache with 3 other girls from my program.  We are constructing 3 enormous figurines that will be placed in the streets of Valencia for 1 week in March, and on the last day they will all be burned.  ((sounds crazy but i cannot wait!!!! for more info- look for my previous post on "Las Fallas"))

aaand just had one of the most motivational talks ever after dinner with my host madre.  I really don't know what I would do without her.  She not only helps me understand España & concepts that I'm studying, but is also helping me to find my own way in life.  I couldn't ask for anything more.

Bueno, pues off to study some more & turn in a paper before midnight (woohoo)

ciao


No comments:

Post a Comment