Saturday, February 18, 2012

Holaaa!
went out on the town for the last 3 nights in a row (Wed & Thursday nights- bars, Friday night- bar followed by 2 discotecas) & still made it to all my classes.  

work hard, play hard

I'm trying not to let my sleepiness get the best of me today, & in the spirit thought I would share this little gem.  This is how we should wake up every morning.  Take a look for yourself =)

I've already gone to my internship for 2 hours and took a stroll through the Mercado Central (Central Market) of Valencia.  Had to pick up my weekly giant mangos (which I swear are not even possible to get in the US- really, they're enormous and delicioso), as well as some fresh kiwi, apples, and strawberries.  
pics for the day:
This is my awesome intercambio from last semester [and now my good friend] Carlota!
notice her stylish shirt ;)


Here comes the fun part: my práctica [internship]:  helping to construct a Falla (for the famous Valencian traditional celebration)
3 other students from my program and I go to a workshop twice a week to paint and help construct numerous figurines-- all made of styrofoam and other flammable materials.  Because in 1 month all of this hard work will be burned at the end of the weeklong celebration! loco
It is increíble to be able to participate in such a big event in Valencia.  The couple that we are helping have been constructing Fallas for over 20 years!


 la luna [the moon]- still not complete after more than 3 layers of paint.  I am clueless as to the final color because each time I return it's different (white, blue, purple.. etc)
some of the ninots- figurines

 fíjate que todo es de styrofoam!

 this girl niñot is in the earlier stages- so you can see that there is newspaper over the styrofoam figurine, then we add layers of paint and decoration on top.
a smiling sideways sun
 Marisa working- carving the styrofoam
My job today- after painting these giant styrofoam letters orange a few days ago, I coated them with glue and poured sawdust over each side.  (again, I have no idea what the finished product will look like, which adds to the fun).  Have I mentioned I feel like a kid again?

No comments:

Post a Comment