Friday, June 8, 2012

Back in the US.. on the East Coast

My second semester in Spain was really life changing.  I had another great semester with my professors and in all of my classes, I made the best of friends, I was able to travel to more European countries than I had originally planned, I was able to experience Fallas (arguably the best week of my life!), and during that week I met my amazing Spanish boyfriend =)

To end my semester my father, brother and sister came to Spain to spend the week there with me.  I took them to the south this time, and we started off in Granada where we spent a day at La Alhambra.  After a day and a half there we took a train to sweltering hot Sevilla where we saw some flamenco, the Cathedral of Sevilla, and took a horse ride starting from Parque Maria Luisa that led us throughout the city.  We then made our way back to my home, Valencia for the last three days.  My boyfriend played our chauffeur and drove us to all of the main tourist destinations, as well as an hour down south to the Costa del Sol where we spent a great day with my Spanish Madre.  We were all able to communicate as if there were no language barrier at all, with me translating at lightning speed (hehe I've definitely improved!).  In fact, I was able to switch so freely between the two languages that I even surprised myself.  This ability has led me to play with the idea of going into a career in translation.  I'm also really interested in learning Portuguese.  I was fascinated by the language during my two trips there, and begged my friend to pronounce practically every sign we saw so I could better understand the language.  I'm still debating between business and translation, but I have time to figure this out.  After all, one of the main things I've learned is that no pasa nada "everything's alright," if I continue to work hard and make connections I know I will figure it out sooner or later.

My with my Spanish Madre, one of the most amazing people I've ever met
The beginning of our three-course Spanish lunch
My madre, Carlos and I on the shore of Jávea
My madre with my dad, two peas in a pod!
Carlos and I on the docks.  Thanks to my sister for being our personal photographer!!!
On the dock at La Albufera
In the Ciudad de Artes y Ciencias in Valencia
So to leave you all with a sense of where I'm at right now, I will be graduating in December with a double major in Political Science and Spanish, and a specialization in Latin American and Caribbean Studies.  After graduating my desire is to return to Spain to teach English either through the Fulbright Scholarship program or a program through the Spanish Government.  If neither of these works out I have started looking into international nannying programs, where I could privately tutor in English in my spare time, as I did during my academic year.  Whichever plan works out, I just know that I want to be back in Spain.  

But don't get me wrong, I love the US and I am proud to be an American.  I just can't get enough of the Spanish culture and language, and I really enjoy their lifestyle and mentality (of course the fact that I now have a boyfriend there helpsl.  I have a family in Spain now as well, and my madre is waiting for my return. 
I am thoroughly enjoying my time at home with my friends and family, and am currently visiting my grandmother on the east coast while learning how to cook (it was about time!).  
Buen provecho // Bon appetit

No comments:

Post a Comment