Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Today I had my first day of my translation internship at the University of Valencia. I practically ran there after getting out of my 20th century Spanish history class and was nervous about arriving 5 minutes late, but was greeted with a typical Valencian "no pasa nada" ("don't worry about it/every things fine).  I then got settled at a computer set up for me to translate articles for the next 2 hours. I spent the first 5 minutes mindlessly reading paragraphs in español while reminiscing at how much this reminded me of my summer class in political science, in which I had to read law cases for 17 hours a week and record certain facts about each one. Luckily, this dreadful thought quickly slipped my mind as I began to grow interested in the content of my work. The 2 hours passed before I knew it, and the professor signed my time sheet and wished me a great break & safe travels.

 Speaking of which: after school this Thursday, my university has a 1 week break, during which I will travel with my friend Jackie to Barcelona with a large group of students. Then from there we will spend 4 days in Sicily (time to visit the homeland!) followed by a nice 3 days in Ibiza, an island off the coast of Valencia. (THANK YOU SO MUCH DAD!!!). Traveling around Europe when you're already here is a great deal cheaper than traveling to a specific country from the US.  For example, my flight to sicily is only 20 Euros, an insanely good deal.  I want to take advantage of this amazing opportunity and see as much of the world as I can.  Many others from my school are traveling to Paris, Rome, Venice, Florence, Portugal, etc., but I thought Sicily and Ibiza would be a great getaway, and the season to visit is just about ending so I'm happy the dates worked out so well.

 However, in the mean time I have loads of school work to complete before I can embark on this adventure. Which is what I'm currently taking a much-needed break from to write this post.

 I've also been tutoring Nacho (& found out that his real name is Ignacio) in science, reading, and history-- all in English.  I'm sorry, I can't help it but every time his mom yells his name it just brings a smile to my face.
"Nachooooooo"


Nacho's family is from Madrid, and his mother invited me to take a weekend trip there with them for some unplanned weekend in the future. I am already looking forward to this and am so happy that they've taken such a quick liking to me. It's a much different experience traveling with spaniards who know the area than as a tourist completely foreign to the inside scoop.  The Nacho family (as I will now refer to them) are hard-core Real Madrid (fútbol team) fans, so I might luck out and be able to see a game in the Madrid stadium!  We'll see though, they weren't too happy when I mentioned that I was a Barcelona fan (huge rivalry), but I told them watching a game has the potential to change my mind :)

 Now I'm just hanging out in the library at my school with 2 other students waiting for our school soccer game at 7! Hopefully I'll score another goal today, I'll let you all know how it goes

 Besos

I was just reading through one of my friend's blogs, and I don't think I could've said this better: "I am so blessed to be able to live here for a semester.  While some things are becoming familiar and less exciting, it is the little quirks of Valencia that keep me entranced and thoroughly in love with life in the city." 

No comments:

Post a Comment